Food is not just something to fill us up, it is medicine and fuel. If you’re looking to lose weight or just maintain a healthier diet, consciously selecting foods that naturally help burn fat and support your energy body will make a world of difference.
In addition to exercise, plenty of water and a good night’s sleep, the food you put in your body is just as important to promote overall wellness. Balancing your body to reach homeostasis will make weight loss happen naturally as your body returns to its ideal state.
- We’ve mentioned it before
, but this one is worth repeating. Coconut oil has hundreds of uses outside the body, but when consumed the benefits are simply incredible! Research shows
it helps reduce abdominal obesity in women and regulates healthy thyroid functions. It is also a safe alternative to olive oil when cooking at high heat as it doesn’t break down and produce cancer-causing carcinogens.
Tip: Eat one tablespoon of coconut oil in the morning and one in the afternoon to suppress your appetite, raise your energy level and literally burn belly fat. Be sure to buy organic, unrefined coconut oil.
- Packed with vitamin C, vitamin K, dietary fiber, folate, potassium, and much more, this popular veggie has a wide variety of health benefits. It actually stimulates an enzyme which, in turn, stimulates fat burning in your body. Green veggies are, across the board, very good for your health.
Tip: Eat raw broccoli as a mid-afternoon snack for a healthy boost between lunch and dinner as a nice change from steamed broccoli on your plate.
- Though difficult to pronounce, this ancient grain has been consumed for thousands of years by civilizations who cherished it for its multiple health benefits. It was considered “The Gold of the Incas” in Central America and was eaten before battle for lasting energy. This grain, high in amino acid, actually makes your body work
to digest it—which means you literally burn fat just by eating it! It also has about twice as much fiber as any other grain, which relieves constipation and maintains happy and healthy bowels.
Tip: This superfood can replace all other grains such as white or brown rice as a side for your meals. Try it on your spinach salad at lunch for a vibrant and delicious texture.
- Dreaded ‘onion breath’ be gone! This veggie adds flavor to your food and tons of beneficial nutrients to your body. Onions contain anthoxanthins (‘thin’ is even in the name!) which boost your energy, regulate your blood pressure and can even help prevent cancer. A diet rich in onions promotes healthy cholesterol and lower blood pressure.
Tip: Include onions as much as possible (raw or cooked) in your meals for some life-changing health benefits!
- All dark leafy greens are incredible for your health. But spinach is especially good because unlike kale, you can eat this leafy green everyday without encountering digestive problems. It contains thylakoids which have been proven to burn fat by increasing metabolism and even reduce cravings. Also, spinach will give you energy and support brain health.
Tip: Gently cooked spinach is actually healthier than the leaf in the raw. Cook a couple hand-fulls (it really reduces in size) in a skillet with some garlic and lemon juice as a delicious side for any meal.
- Not new to the weight loss
community, grapefruit has been highly regarded for years as a fat burner. High in fiber, low in calories, an appetite suppressant, acid reducer, etc—eating grapefruit every day can really improve your health. Not only associated with weight loss, grapefruit juice can also prevent against many other ailments and diseases.
Tip: Have half a grapefruit or a glass of grapefruit juice every morning and feel more sustained energy and fewer cravings throughout the day.
- Drinking a lot of fluids while trying to lose weight is incredibly important. But adding a drink that has multiple benefits like Hwangchil Tea
will take your weight loss routine to the next level. Some of the benefits include: gentle laxative, increased energy, decrease of bad cholesterol, increase of good cholesterol, improved digestion and the list goes on. If you need a boost in the morning and are trying to get away from coffee, this in an incredible alternative—but it also is known to cure insomnia, so you can drink it at night too.
Tip: Drink a cup in the morning and one in the evening. Be sure to brew it properly for best results.
In order to get maximum results from your diet and exercise routine, it is important to eat foods that will nourish your body and mind. Try working some of these ‘superfoods’ into your diet and watch the fat melt away and your overall health improve!
Take time to enjoy the food you prepare and always give thanks.
Afterall, “you are what you eat!”