As the temperature rises, so must our water intake. Staying hydrated in the summer heat is vital, and if you’re already consuming more water, adding some ingredients to help your body further detox and get rid of waste is a win-win scenario.
When we are dehydrated, our bodies actually retain more water as a survival instinct. This can lead to uncomfortable bloating and retention of waste because our bodies aren’t excreting due to dehydration.
This is a simple problem to solve, however. More water is always a good idea and these ingredients will amplify its healing power.
This summer, try this delicious water recipe to give your body more of what it needs, and treat your taste buds to some refreshing flavors at the same time.
Detox Water Recipe
In just a few minutes, you can whip up a gallon of water to last a fews days, and the flavor will just get better with time!
- Juice of 5 lemons (or 1 cup) - lemons help cleanse the digestive system and remove toxins
- ½ cup of whole, rinsed mint leaves - mint is great for aiding digestion and is amplified when the body is hydrated
- ½ tsp ginger powder or small piece of fresh, peeled ginger root - ginger helps the body absorb nutrients more effectively and eases the stomach to aid in digestion
- ½ of a cucumber (sliced) - cucumber is a powerhouse of benefits: it hydrates, cools (perfect for hot summer days), aids in weight loss, and nourishes with vitamins
- 1 gallon filtered water
- Fill a large glass gallon jug, preferably with a spout, with filtered water
- Add all ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon
- Put in refrigerator to marinate overnight so the flavors and essences have time to blend
- Fill your water bottle and enjoy!
Not only will this water deeply hydrate you, but it may even encourage you to drink more water because it’s so tasty. It is recommended that the average adult drink 8 cups of water a day, and when it tastes like a fresh summer breeze, that should be no problem!
This water is also great for kids who don’t care for water. It’s a much less sugary alternative to juice and is filled with the vitamins and nutrients they need.
When our tissues are deeply hydrated, this extends to our joints and muscles, and all the way out to the skin. Promoting hydration, especially during the summer months, helps our bodies stay cool, keeps the skin supple, boosts energy, and even helps relieve headaches commonly associated with heat.
When your DahnJon is strong and you are hydrated, your body can focus on cooling down efficiently rather than wasting precious energy on cooling the body with an insufficient water reserve.
A hydrated body is a happy body and summer is the perfect time to get into the habit of staying hydrated and paying attention to the needs of your body. And if you can get rid of excess waste and even lose a few pounds, all the better.
To your radiant health!