Do you ever dream of living in a better world? Looking at all the bad news in the headlines, most people wish for a better world
, but often they think that that’s a fool’s dream, that people are as they are, and nothing can change. I disagree, however, because changing the world is simpler than one might think. Making a better world does not require any special invention or the coming of some powerful guru or superhero. Changing the world is just a matter of changing our consciousness—the way we view ourselves and the world around us.
At this important moment in human history, we need a bigger, brighter form of consciousness: earth-centered consciousness. Someone with an earth-centered consciousness
recognizes that all life on earth depends on each other and the planet for our very survival. They realize that we are all one at the root of everything and that what is good for the earth is good for all of us. Having earth-centered consciousness means keeping the earth foremost in our thoughts, feelings, and actions.
This kind of unifying mindset
that can break us out of our warring, tribal way of being that has led to so much strife and violence. And it will allow us to address the global issues we now face, such as climate change and the cultural changes happening in our technological, interconnected world.
Connected to Others and the Earth
Today’s technology allows us to communicate very easily with others around the world. I have started doing more lectures and training via the Internet, and I am always delighted that people worldwide can so easily come together in this way. This technology is making possible a form of culture that is not limited by geographical boundaries; a truly global culture is emerging. Yet, violence between countries is still happening, and countries continue to vie for domination over others. Connecting to each other this way isn't enough if we hold onto old habits of consciousness. More connectivity reinforces those old habits.
I believe we humans can choose to evolve beyond our old ways of being; we can choose to evolve toward a higher consciousness
. But how do we develop this consciousness—an earth-centered consciousness? We feel into it. We use our imagination and empathy
to sense a deeper, more authentic connection to the earth
and to each other.
Two of the most powerful faculties of the human mind, imagination and empathy can make this connection and the better world we wish for become real inside us. Years ago, John Lennon wrote a song called “Imagine” that spoke of imagining a better world, and it is quite moving since we truly can change the world if, first, we can imagine that it is possible. As a first step, I recommend using your imagination to visualize
Visualization: One Planet, One People
- 1) Find a comfortable, quiet place to relax. You can sit in a meditation posture, in a comfortable chair, or even lie down.
2) Breathe deeply but naturally into your lower abdomen, breathing in through the nose and exhaling slowly through the mouth. With each exhalation, release tension from the body, becoming more and more relaxed.
3) In your mind’s eye, see yourself standing on the earth with energy pulsating through your body and brain.
4) Then imagine that energy connecting one by one to all the people in your life, your friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, etc.
5) Imaging that energy also connects to everyone who is connected to you through the food you eat, the media you consume, and the products you enjoy.
6) See also the people connected to those people. Soon, you will see a huge web of interconnected energy connecting all the people in the world.
7) In your mind’s eye, see also all the plants, animals, and ecosystems that are part of that web of life.
8) After a few minutes, return slowly to normal consciousness and open your eyes to a new world.
Creating an Earth Human Village
Through this visualization, I hope you can feel how connected you are to the planet and all life. You used your imagination to visualize this, but it is important to know that this is not imaginary. It is a fact that we cannot live without each other or the earth. The time has come for us to acknowledge this and to live accordingly in harmony and cooperation
. We have the tools to create such a world right now, so let’s do that, beginning with taking on an earth-centered consciousness.