If you find yourself choking back your emotions, or nervously clearing your throat in social situations, it may be worth a look at your Throat Chakra energy center.
What is the Throat Chakra?
The Throat Chakra, or the fifth chakra, is located in the pit of the throat. Its color is blue-green and it relates to communication on all levels.
When the Throat Chakra is balanced, it brings clear communication and creative expression, from within our self and with others. An open throat chakra lets us express our truth and listen to our inner voice.
When the throat chakra is weak we may experience difficulty expressing ourselves. Symptoms of a weak or closed throat chakra can include fear of speaking, stuttering, secretiveness, excessive shyness and even lying.
Signs of an overactive throat chakra include too much talking, rapid or confused speech, inattention, inability to listen, and dominating the conversation in social settings.
Spiritually, the Throat Chakra’s element is ether and is considered the “soul’s gate,” separating our external and internal strengths. The spiritual challenge for the person working to balance Throat Chakra is to learn trust in one’s own voice, to find harmony with the external world and speak one’s truth while trusting the process of interacting with others.
Physically, the fifth chakra corresponds to the thyroid glands. Its energetic connection to the physical body can manifest as strep throat/sore throat, laryngitis, ear infections, teeth grinding and an overactive thyroid.
Two Throat Chakra Healing Meditations:
Blue Energy Gargle
This visualization is a fun ‘throat wash’ that will help you clear self doubt and open your communication channel.
1. Sit or stand before a mirror—you may want to be in front of your actual bathroom mirror—and imagine your daily toothbrushing and mouthwash routine. Only, with this exercise you are going to gargle with imaginary mouthwash.
2. Turn the lights down and light a blue candle if you have one or just imagine a soft, glowing blue light.
Take a few deep inhales and exhales as you stare at your image in the mirror. Say to yourself what you are afraid to say out loud to the person you are going to be speaking to on this day. Notice where you fumble with your thoughts, or what critical voice comes to mind.
4. Your eyes, focus on your neck and let ‘blue light’ pour into your throat. Begin to gently hum the letter ‘M.’ Let the vibration of the letter sound in your throat, creating waves that bathe your throat in blue light.
Do this before making an important presentation or having a difficult conversation with a loved one.
Throat Chakra Affirmation
1. Place your palms at your collarbone, fingertips gently pressing into the base of your neck.
2. Close your eyes and see the soft blue light emanating from this chakra.
3. Take 3 deep breaths, stating aloud, “Within this harmony I will complete my healing journey,” with each exhale.
Next time you aren’t able to express your emotions, remember to clear your throat chakra. With these two throat chakra meditations, you’ll be opening your fifth chakra, communicating clearly, and feeling balanced before you know it.