The ability to “sense” energy is an innate ability that requires a bit of practice to develop. Although there isn’t an energy sensing organ, you can feel it by both opening and focusing your mind.
Energy is everywhere, both inside and outside of your body. However, because your senses belong to your body, it is often easier to sense the energy from inside your body first. The method is simple: feel your body.
If, like many people, you don’t have direct experience with energy, to you, feeling your body may mean touching your skin with your hands. However, there’s also a way of feeling your body without using your sense of touch: feeling your body from the inside through awareness. That means focusing on a particular area of your body with your mind.
When you first practice this, it’s easiest to start by focusing on your hands because they are most sensitive to subtle energy.
Simple Meditation for Developing Your Ability to Sense Energy
1. Sit or stand with your back straight.
2. Hold your palms facing each other in front of your chest with about two inches between them.
3. Focus your attention on your hands, especially your palms and the space between them.
4. Inhale and separate your palms from each other.
5. Exhale as you bring them toward each other.
6. Continue this in and out motion with a relaxed mind while concentrating on your palms and the space between. Feelings of tingling, electricity, lightness, heat, cold, stickiness, or pressure are sensations of energy.
7. After a few minutes, lower your hands and take three deep breaths.
With this meditation, you can develop your ability to sense energy. Once your awareness grows and you sense energy more easily, you can expand your focus to the whole inner space of your body and experience a larger presence of energy. Eventually, you will also be able to sense the energy surrounding your body and the energy coming from other people and objects.
This heightened sense allows you to know the condition of your energy, and the practice of feeling energy is a means of improving it. Being sensitive to a world of energy also gives you a new level of information with which to make choices in your life.